Valentine’s Day Heart Shaped Zucchini Frittatas
These heart shaped Zucchini Frittatas are perfect for a romantic Valentine’s Day lunch or as an appetizer for a beautiful dinner. Serve with a chilled glass of your favorite white wine. I would recommend a Riesling! You will need heart shaped muffin or cup cake pans available at Sur La Table or Michaels. For me the table setting is just as important as the food. Fresh flowers are a must. I use regular glasses along with vases I have around the house to hold the arrangements. Old books add a romantic and thoughtful touch especially if you use books that have meaning to the guest or guests at your table.
- 12 egg whites from large organic eggs (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped small
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini chopped small
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped small
- 3 scallions chopped
- 2 fresh Sage leaves chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves pulled off
- Pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups of tomato sauce or favorite jar sauce. I recommend RAO’S Tomato Basil
- 1-cup goat or feta cheese cut into small cubes 1 cup freshly grated Reggiano Parmesan
- Vegetable spray
Pre-heat oven to 350 Separate the egg yolks from the whites. In a bowl with the egg whites add in six basil leaf chopped, parsley, salt, pepper and whisk with a fork 3 to 4 strokes. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the Zucchini, onions, scallions, sage, thyme. Sautee for 5 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables starts to get soft. Add 1 tablespoon of zucchini mixture into the bottom of each muffin pan.
Fill muffin pans almost ¾ of the way up with the egg whites. Add 1 tablespoon of the goat or feta cheese broken up with your fingers on top of each heart. Add heaping tablespoon of sauce then Parmesan cheese over each frittata Place the muffin pans in a baking pan filled with warm water ¾ of the way up. You will most likely need two baking pans filled with water.
Place carefully in the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until the tops of the hearts are puffy and golden. Remove from oven and remove the muffin pans from the water bath. Cool on the counter for 5 minutes. Gently lift each zucchini frittata using a spoon and fork. Place on a plate and serve! Makes 12 heart shaped frittatas Can be served hot, room temperature or cold!
Happy Valentines Day! Follow Me:
Facebook: Cristina Ferrare
Pinterest: Cristina Cooks