As seen on Hallmark Channel ” Home and Family”
• 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
• 1 cup water
• 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 4 medium carrots, sliced
• 1 large green pepper, cut into ½-inch pieces
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 teaspoons salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
• 1 can (14-½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Wash pumpkin; cut to 6 to 8 in. circle around top stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loosen fibers from inside
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving.
Cristina’s Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
In a bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
Roast in oven (350°) until toasted.
Top with: pomegranate seeds, scallions, jalapenos, crème fraiche or sour cream, and either pumpkin seed oil or walnut oil.
For more great “Taste of Home” recipes, go to www.tasteofhome.com.
Follow me on:
Facebook: Cristina Ferrare
Pinterest: Cristina Cooks