Cristina’s Grilled Gruyère & Zucchini Sandwiches with Pesto
Go to COOKING “Home & Family” for today’s recipe
- Use a food processor to get the right consistency for the pesto. It shouldn’t be too thick or too runny. The greens should be finely chopped, not puréed.
- When storing pesto in the refrigerator, make sure to add more olive oil to cover the pesto by ¼ to ½ inch to create an air tight seal over the chopped greens. This will protect it from going bad and growing mold. Garlic is a living organism and will grow mold after a few days.
- The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 2 to 3 days tops.
- 1 cup packed wild arugula
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- ½ cup loosely packed Italian parsley
- 1 medium garlic clove peeled
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and cracked pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil for pesto and 3 to 5 extra tablespoons of olive oil for brushing zucchini and bread.
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into ¼” slices lengthwise. Place them in a baking sheet side by side
- 8 slices of seven grain bread or sourdough bread
- 8 slices of gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- garlic powder for sprinkling
- kosher salt for sprinkling
- half of a fresh lemon
- In a food processor, add the arugula, basil, parsley, and garlic clove.
- Add ½ cup of olive oil and process until finely chopped.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Save the remaining olive oil and set aside.
- Brush the zucchini slices on both sides with the olive oil and season with dried oregano, garlic powder, and kosher salt.
- Grill over high heat for 2 minutes on one side or until you start to get grill marks. Turn to grill the other side for 2 more minutes. Remove from grill pan and place in a dish. Squeeze the lemon juice over top of zucchini and sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt. Set aside.
- Grill the bread cut side down just until soft, about 30 seconds. Spread the olive oil on bottom and top of bread using a pastry brush. Spread the bread with pesto on both cut sides.
- Layer on top of bread one slice of gruyère cheese, add grilled zucchini.