Cristina’s Peach Cobbler
Go to COOKING “Home & Family” for today’s recipe
- Choose ripe yet firm peaches.
- Peel the peaches to avoid any unpleasant leathery bits of skin.
- Cut in large pieces to avoid development of a peach mush during baking.
- Remove the dark red flesh that surrounds the peach pit for a better taste.
- 2 ½ pounds (6 to 7 medium) ripe firm peaches, skinned pitted, red flesh removed and cut into large pieces,
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Gently toss peaches and sugar together in large bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes, tossing several times. Drain peaches in colander set over large bowl.
- Whisk ¼ cup of drained juice (discard extra), cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt together in small bowl. Toss peach juice mixture with peach slices and transfer to 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake until peaches begin to bubble around edges, about 10 minutes.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ? cup plain whole milk yogurt
- While the peaches are baking, in food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to combine. Scatter butter over and pulse until mixture resembles course meal, about eight to ten 1-second pulses.
- Transfer to a bowl; add the yogurt and toss with rubber spatula until dough is formed. (Don’t over mix dough or biscuits will be tough.)
- Break dough into 6 evenly sized roughly shaped mounds and set aside.
To Assemble and Bake:
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
- After peaches have baked 10 minutes, remove peaches from oven and place dough mounds on top, spacing them at least ½ inch apart (they should not touch).
- Sprinkle each mound with portion of remaining 1 tsp sugar. Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Cool cobbler on wire rack about 20 minutes. Top with vanilla ice cream and serve.
- This dessert can be served warm, room temperature, or cold right out of the refrigerator.