Cristina’s Creamy Cool Spring Pea Soup
Go to COOKING “Home & Family” for today’s recipe
- Make sure you use fresh peas.
- Let them cool in a bath before blending.
- 3 pounds (approximately 3 to 3 ½ cups) fresh peas (in pods), setting aside 20 peas for garnish
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 quart chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 5 fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream
- Jalapeño (chopped)
- Shuck all the peas from the pods and set aside in a bowl.
- In a food processor, process the onions, celery, and carrots into small pieces.
- Heat a sauce pot for 1 minute on medium high, pour the olive oil into a medium-size soup pot, add the vegetables from the processor, and salt. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and stir several times while cooking. Add the chicken stock and bring to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the peas and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat. In a blender, ladle the soup in batches, and blend for 2 minutes each time. (It’s important to blend that long to get a smooth, creamy consistency.)
- Taste and correct seasoning, adding more kosher salt if necessary. Pour into a medium bowl, and cool on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Cover and place into the refrigerator for 3 hours to chill.
- Ladle soup into individual cold soup dishes and garnish with 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, sour cream, jalapeño, pink salt, mint, and lemon as desired.