Cristina’s “Tunnel of Oozing, Fudgy Love Cake”
- USE A SCALE FOR ACCURANTE MEASUREMENTS IN OUNCES:
For best results use a scale to measure the exact amount of flour, sugar, and cocoa.
- DON’T OVERMIX:
Just mix until absorbed then you are done. If you over mix your cake will be dense.
- LET OVEN PREHEAT FOR 10-15 MINUTES:
Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes after the oven has reached the desired temperature before you put anything in the oven to bake.
- PREPARED BATTER NEEDS TO GO IN THE OVEN IMMEDIATELY:
If you don’t get it into the oven right away, your cake won’t rise properly and you will end up with a cake that falls in the middle.
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cups cutch processed cocoa, plus 3 extra tablespoons for dusting the Bundt pan
- 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus 2 tablespoons to grease the pan
Chocolate Glaze Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¾ cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place an oven rack in the middle portion of the oven. Pre-heat over to 350 degrees.
- Grease a bunt pan with the two tablespoons of butter and dust with the 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Bring the water to a boil and pour over the chocolate in a medium bowl and whisk until all the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Cool the mixture at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cocoa, flour, nuts, confectioners sugar and salt.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter at high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Turn to low speed and add the egg mixture just until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated then add the flour mixture just until combined do not over mix.
- Using a spatula pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the batter and bake until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 45 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack for 90 minutes then invert onto a serving plate and let cool for 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the cream, corn syrup and chocolate. Cook stirring constantly until smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and stir. Set aside until slightly thickening for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle the glaze all over the cake and let it rest for 15 minutes.