Chef Stuart O’Keeffe’s Irish Beef and Guinness Stew
Go to COOKING “Home & Family” for today’s recipe
- 3lb beef brisket, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups Guinness Stout
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon blackcurrant jelly
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- In a large dutch oven, bring the canola oil to a medium heat, brown off all the meat, set aside.
- Add onions and sauté for 7 minutes, until they are beginning to brown. Add flour here. Stir.
- Add Guinness along with the carrots, celery, bay leaves, garlic, blackcurrant jelly, stock and tomato paste.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 1.5 hours or until the meat gets very tender.