Cristina’s Slow-Cooked Hunter-Style Chicken
Mushrooms, tomatoes, and red wine make a savory, chunky sauce for braised chicken in this classic dish. Serve it with a side of roasted garlic mashed potatoes for a hearty dinner.
Go to COOKING “Home and Family” for today’s recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 small chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 6 pieces (legs, thighs, and breasts without backbones)
Salt and ground black pepper
All-purpose flour for coating
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced peeled carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup dry red wine (preferably one with soft tannins like a Merlot or a Pinot Noir)
1 1/2 ounces Glace de Poulet Gold
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups canned Roma tomatoes with basil, diced, juice reserved
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat with flour, patting off the excess.
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown it lightly on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer it to a 6- to 8-quart slow cooker. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.
4. Lower the heat to medium-low,and add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery to the pan; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Stir in the 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Stir in the wine and Glace de Poulet Gold and bring the mixture to a simmer stirring until the glace is dissolved.
6. Pour the wine/vegetable mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and their juices, and Herbes de Provence; stir to mix.
7. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
8. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Stir the tarragon into the sauce remaining in the slow cooker, and season it to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Pour the sauce over chicken to serve.