Cristina Ferrare’s Big Game Buffet
Dips and Sides
Go to COOKING “Home & Family” for today’s recipe
• 4 ripe avocados
• 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
• 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 2 jalapenos, 1 finely chopped, and 1 sliced thin, for garnish
• 1 lime, sliced thin, for garnish
1. Split the avocados along the sides and divide in half.
2. Remove the pit, and scoop the avocado into a ceramic bowl. Mash with a potato masher (not a ricer) until smooth.
3. Add the onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and chopped jalapeno, and continue to mash until the guacamole looks whipped and fluffy.
4. Adjust the seasoning, adding more salt if necessary.
5. Place an avocado pit in the middle of the guacamole to help keep it from turning dark. Garnish with sliced lime and jalapeno.
6. Serve immediately with warm tortilla chips, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container for up to 24 hours.
Serve with warm tortilla chips. To warm tortilla chips, place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 F. for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Queso Dip Ingredients:
• 1 (10 ounce) cans Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
• 1 (16 ounce) packages Velveeta Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Queso Dip Recipe:
1. Combine undrained tomatoes and cheese in medium saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently.
3. Serve warm as a dip with tortilla chips, crackers or cut-up fresh vegetables.
Coleslaw With Creamy Poppy-Seed-Lemon Dressing Ingredients:
This is the perfect coleslaw to serve as a side dish. It tastes even better the next day when all of the flavors have had a chance to come together! This slaw is creamy without being heavy because of the fresh lemon juice and vinegars used to liven up the dressing! I especially love this coleslaw over pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches. The sweetness of the meat is the perfect counter part to this creamy, crunchy slightly tangy slaw!
• 1 head Savoy cabbage
• 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
• 2 teaspoon kosher salt
• Cracked pepper
Coleslaw With Creamy Poppy-Seed-Lemon Dressing Recipe:
1. Chop the cabbage into small pieces and place in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegars, cayenne, and poppy seeds. Pour the dressing over the cabbage, and mix well.
3. Add the salt and pepper to taste, cover, and chill at least 2 hours before serving.