- 3 pieces of sour dough toasted cut into ¼’ inch cubes, set aside
- 6 pieces of bacon, fried crisp, shopped coarsely, set aside
- 2 &1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or hot sauce
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 gloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 6 to 8 large ripe tomatoes sliced into quarters
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups head or romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped into ¼”inch pieces, set aside for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toast the bread first, cut into ¼ “ inch pieces set aside
Fry the bacon, chop coarsely, and set aside
Make spicy mayonnaise by mixing together the mayo and hot sauce, set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Heat a medium soup pot on medium high heat for one minute. Add olive oil, onion and scallions, into the saucepan and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for two minutes. Add the cut up tomatoes. Lower heat to medium and cook for 20 to 30 minutes to release the natural juices of the tomatoes cooking them down slightly to thicken.
Add the chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Transfer soup from saucepan into a blender puree and pass through a strainer (Chinois) with small holes to catch the seeds and skin, (not a tight mesh strainer)
Add back into the soup pot and heat through until hot!
Chop the head or romaine lettuce into thin strips
Serve in individual bowls and divide the chopped bacon, lettuce and tomatoes evenly among the servings. Top with a small dollop of mayonnaise on each serving and 5 to 6 pieces of toast cubes. Salt and pepper to taste!
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour