- 3 pounds (approximately 3 to 3 1/2 cups) fresh peas (in pods), setting aside 20 peas for garnish
- 6 slices imported prosciutto
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 quart chicken stock, homemade or store bought
- 5 fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cracked pepper, to taste
Shuck all the peas from the pods and set aside in a bowl.
To Serve: Ladle soup into individual soup dishes, and garnish with a teaspoon of prosciutto bits, 5 to 6 basil ribbons, 1 teaspoon of fresh mint and some cracked pepper. For a finishing touch, place some of the remaining fresh peas that were put aside at the beginning on top.